Summary Notes From March 2008 High Ridge House Metaphysical Meeting
Subject: "Making All Things New"
March 9, 2008
Facilitated by Marilyn Bradshaw
The meeting was opened with Hymn 218 from the Christian Science Hymnal,
"O Life that maketh all things new…"
Click on a citation to read the passage
Ezek 11:16 Thus (to ;), 19 I will put (to ;)
Isa 65:17 (to :), 18 I create Jerusalem, 21
Thus saith the Lord God…I will put a new spirit within you;
Prov 3:9 (to,), 10 and
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.
Luke 5:37 no, 38 (to ;)
Honour the Lord with thy substance… and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
Phil 3:13, 14, 10 (to 2nd,)
no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish. But new wine must be put into new bottles;
Rom 6:1 (to?), 3, 4 that
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection,
What shall we say then? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
RESURRECTION. Spiritualization of thought; a new and higher idea of immortality, or spiritual existence; material belief yielding to spiritual understanding.
Divine Science does not put new wine into old bottles, Soul into matter, nor the infinite into the finite. Our false views of matter perish as we grasp the facts of Spirit. The old belief must be cast out or the new idea will be spilled, and the inspiration, which is to change our standpoint, will be lost.
Mis 204:12-27 The
Willingness to become as a little child and to leave the old for the new, renders thought receptive of the advanced idea. Gladness to leave the false landmarks and joy to see them disappear, — this disposition helps to precipitate the ultimate harmony. The purification of sense and self is a proof of progress.
The baptism of the Holy Ghost is the spirit of Truth cleansing from all sin; giving mortals new motives, new purposes, new affections, all pointing upward. This mental condition settles into strength, freedom, deep-toned faith in God; and a marked loss of faith in evil, in human wisdom, human policy, ways, and means. It develops individual capacity, increases the intellectual activities, and so quickens moral sensibility that the great demands of spiritual sense are recognized, and they rebuke the material senses, holding sway over human consciousness. By purifying human thought, this state of mind permeates with increased harmony all the minutiae of human affairs. It brings with it wonderful foresight, wisdom, and power; it unselfs the mortal purpose, gives steadiness to resolve, and success to endeavor.
My Beloved Brethren: — My heart goes out to you as ever in daily desire that the Giver of all good transform you into His own image and likeness.
Ideas shared by attendees:
Each bullet represents one speaker. The speaker’s own words are in italics.
- When we're working metaphysically for a church or for High Ridge House we can be absolutely open to any possibilities. God's blessings are infinite and we shouldn't in any way limit the scope of that.
- I discovered Christian Science when a doctor said I needed an operation. When I told my husband, he gave me the book, Science and Health. I didn't know he had been studying Christian Science. The Chapter on prayer answered questions I had since childhood. The problem vanished so I didn't have the operation. It was like a new life. A marvelous journey."
- This is my first meeting of this kind. I come with an open heart and open thoughts. I am here to listen and learn. Deeply, I wish to express gratitude for Christian Science and its mission, including High Ridge House.
- Isa 43:19
- II Cor 5:17
- S&H 561:16
- I Cor 15:22
- S&H 427:23
- Mis 17:27
- Hymn 218:4
- We don't have to make it new. God makes it new.
- Lam 22, 23
- God's mercies are new every morning. That's a law of God. We don't have to make it happen. Newness and life are perpetuated by God. Don't just read about Spirit through the lens of matter. Only see God through spiritual sense. Renewal is not something we have to do. Life maketh all things new.
- "Love and Church Renewal" by Dewitt John in 1981
- Letting go of the old before we take on the new is highly important. Let go of limitations, fear and any sense that God isn't present. We are precious and valuable to him in all ways. Express gratitude for the possibility to get together and discuss the importance of doing things that are new and refreshed.
- Ps 133:1
- Ps 111:10
- I was directed to Christian Science when yearning for something new. I knew this was it, and have had many blessings. Recently, I yearned for a deeper understanding of Science and am working on that. Being a part of this meeting brings me joy.
- Misc 279:17
- Mrs. Eddy told her last class of 75 students this. She reminded them of Joshua going seven times around the wall of Jericho, like seven days of creation.
The disciples in the upper chamber were all of one mind. For Joshua they all had to shout together. The disciples had to be of one mind. What is needed are renewal and transformation of thought from a material belief to a spiritual sense of Life, God, and only one Mind. This change of thought is progressive. The caterpillar changes into a butterfly never to return to the worm stage.
- S&H 74:29-30
- We may be tempted to think we have to renew a physical body or an organization. But as we understand and accept that there is one Mind only. It forever unfolds good and right ideas that govern our thoughts and lives harmoniously.
- Although I was brought up in another faith, the idea of Christian Science came to me. I was looking for something new and went to God in prayer. It was so wonderful to go and find this newness of life. It gave me a whole new life.
- Express gratitude for new eyes and a new heart, knowing as God knows, seeing as God sees. This is such a beautiful way of looking at everyone. High Ridge is such a wonderful place to share and support each other, hold each other up, and know that God is in control.
- Six months ago I struggled with a long claim. It came to me that I need not treatment, per se, but a total transformation. Finally, I gave up ego and human desires. The whole world is crying out for transformation and renewal. The new religious ideas springing up in the world indicate a desire for spiritual renewal. Christian Science is the highest explanation of truth on this planet. The drama of mortal life may repeat itself every morning. However, one can discipline oneself to check in with God and stay there. Walk in the spirit during the day. It takes practice. One day I was struggling with the problem and a thought came: "If I were as completely possessed by God as I am by this problem… if I allowed God to overtake me to the degree that this problem has then I would be walking on water and raising the dead!" I realized that this difficulty is nothing. It is screaming for life but it has none. It is not only anti-Christ. The other side of it is Divine Love calling me to submit to become the embodiment of Divine Love. There was great progress and I am able to feel the presence of God.
- Rom 12:2
- I would like to share with you the poem "Teach Me to Love" by Louise Knight Wheatley. It can be found in The Christian Science Journal, October 1908, vol 26, p. 408.
- The most important thing we can do as Christian Scientists is to express love. After growing up in a different church, I came to Christian Science late in life. My aunt drew me in through projecting a sense of love. Mrs. Eddy spoke of not being judgmental about other people. I saw this in my aunt. She was disciplined about herself but not judgmental of others. In a very caring and nurturing way she showed love. This drew people toward her. It was very transforming.
- This meeting is renewing and transforming us right now as we speak. It affects our individual lives, churches, world and High Ridge House. In thinking about the topic I briefly thought: "What's the matter with the old way?" We all need to give thought to that and answer it.
- S&H 248:8
- It sounds renewing but also like a lot of work. What is it that really does the work?
- Isa 66:22
- It's God that makes the new heavens and new earth. It's our responsibility to see that and reflect it. That's our responsibility, our opportunity, our actual being. My responsibility is to listen.
- S&H 323:28-30, 32-4
- Ultimate harmony is what this sense of renewal brings to thought - willingness to become as a little child. Humbleness, yearning, and striving for all that we've heard about. Giving up what isn't a part of us or a part of God's man. It requires a change of thought. Sometimes it's hard. But it's not a matter of having to renew a structure or body, put things in place, tear down the old and build up something new. We might be led to do something but, really, it's renewing our thought by letting the Christ consciousness shine through. That itself is the renewing and transformative experience. We can stand solidly on what we’re sharing today. We’ll feel that renewal in our own lives and in our churches and in our communities. This whole tri-state will feel the effect of this meeting today.
- No one has anything to fear about coming to High Ridge House. It’s an opportunity to heal and prove that Christian Science heals. What blesses one blesses all. Love is work and love must fit. Supply and demand are the same. When I was a nurse, a “change of shift” meeting closed with the last verse of a hymn:
- Are we ready to receive infinite blessings without limitations? Semper paratus. How can we always be ready? We need not personalize any positive quality or personal state of readiness but yield to a law of divine readiness. God is always ready to bestow everything we need and much more. The quality of readiness is not personal. Many might think of themselves as absolutely ready to consecrate themselves to branch church work provided that God doesn't require that we give more than 49% of what we have to give. All that God is waiting for is for us to go to 51%. If we all gave 51%, our church would be transformed. God doesn't require us to get to where Jesus was or even to be ready to unloose the latchet of his sandals. God would pour forth a blessing beyond anything that you can possibly believe that you deserve. Be ready to really believe that God is doing all the work.
- John 20:27
Jesus spoke those words to Thomas after the resurrection. To Thomas, seeing was believing. Jesus asked for a higher sense: Believing is seeing. What and who we believe constitutes the nature of being and of our human experience. As we believe, so do we see expressed the very nature of what we believe. Jesus is asking us to bear witness to immortality, to truth, to life, to perfect being. Having inspiration, faith, and trust leads us to see what we believe.Truth emerges. We see God, good, in all things. Our vision clears to behold reality, harmony.
- Rom 12:2
Recognize that one Mind is what we have. We can start with the reality that there is nothing that needs to be transformed or renewed. At this moment, infinite love fills all space, right here right now. Become as little children. Take that reality, hold to it. If anything comes into it that would suggest anything other than infinite Love we can say "Aye, darkling sense, arise, go hence! Our God is good" (Po 79:10)
- Embrace the thought of all things new, of discovering yourself and your relationship with your Creator.
- S&H 468:10
- S&H 3:14-15 to (to,)
- II Cor 3:18
When we turn to face God as Moses did, God removes the veil and there we are face to face. God is present, a loving spirit. There is nothing between us and God. God enters our lives and we become like him. There is no veil over His face. We all reflect as in a mirror the splendor of the lord. Thus, we are transfigured into his likeness.
- Ezek 47:12 (to 2nd :)
All things new are already here - constantly going. We must open our eyes and see what we already have, and express gratitude.
- High Ridge House is a sanctuary. The pure water that flows from it is the healing work of all those involved. Those who come here for healing will get more than just a healing. They get a clearer understanding of divine Love. They will reap the glory from the pure waters of the sanctuary. As they leave, others will come to get that pure water. It is like a cycle, of only good to give and only love to be received and to be given back again. It can be expressed in our churches, in our communities. It’s already here. We just have to open our eyes and see it and give constant gratitude.
- It's ever refreshing to work with 2008 Annual Appeal. Not looking at the past - something not done right or not done well enough. God makes all things new. Water is a symbol of newness. What it must be like to be a drop of water in a river! Always flowing and always being somewhere new: in a river, in a tree, on the ground, in a lake, up in a cloud. Constantly flowing water. We can reflect that idea and accept real newness.
- Hymn 51
It's already done.
- Rom 11:34
- Rom 12:1, 2
If we do not conform to this world, our mind is transformed. Then we know the will of God. Let's say we have trouble changing our mind or believing what we know is true while our actions show otherwise. Remember, it's a matter of really doing and following directions - meekness, and being a living sacrifice. When we have done the will of God, then we will be transformed.
- S&H vii: 1-2
As Christian Scientists, we feel that so dramatically. We know we're leaning on God. We stand for truth and know the way grows brighter. I have seen many wonderful healings at High Ridge House and am very grateful.
- How very easily we tend to fall into accepting things in the world and in our communities. Are we really transforming ourselves? Staying awake as we should? We can keep thought so clear that nothing can interfere with it.
When the full significance of this saying is understood, we shall have better practitioners, and Truth will arise in human thought with healing in its wings, regenerating mankind. We don't need to let things get to us. Our primary focus is to love and not let the mortal sense be reacting to mortality. We can instantly change thought.
- Isa 42:9
- I would like to express my gratitude for Christian Science and a change of thought, a new way of thinking.
- We can pray daily: open mine eyes that I might see. I pray to see the perfect man.
- S&H 35:2-6
The disciples were learning anew and we too can learn anew. We can renew our minds and be as children and go in that direction. As a Sunday School teacher, I thought my class needed a change of teachers. There wasn’t anyone else to do it. So, I changed my methods and it worked.
- Christian Science Soloist, unknown
- It is great being a Christian Science nurse. It brings many joys.
- We can start with a receptive thought - open to all ideas. Sort out those that truly come to us from God. Next, evaluate each idea in such a way that we can judge its merit. We can then know that we have approached it correctly.
- I began nursing in the 70's. My foundation at High Ridge House and in Christian Science is a foundation for my work with children.
- I am grateful for this subject - how broad it is in scope. We're all searching for renewal. Do not bar your mind. Instead, renew your mind.
- Mrs. Eddy explains "restoreth my soul", in the 23 Psalm, as "restoreth my spiritual sense." According to Strong's Concordance, the word translated as "restore" could also have been translated as "renew." God is constantly renewing our spiritual sense.
Our ability to discern good and our capacity to understand God is continually being renewed by divine Love. Love restores our soul, our spiritual sense.