HISTORY

In 1944, a gentleman who had deep gratitude for a Christian Science healing of paralysis saw the need for a rest and nursing home that would serve Christian Scientists in the New York area. A small group of Christian Scientists organized around this idea that same year and with the growing support of other Christian Scientists in the field, incorporated themselves in 1947. They purchased a building on East 71st Street under the name of the Manhattan Sanatorium. After renovations were completed, the first patient was admitted in 1949.

In 1957 the city began to impose extensive structural standards that led to the sale of the building on East 71st Street. A 17-room house, which accommodated 10 patients, was purchased 50 miles from Manhattan on Haines Rd. in Bedford Hills, NY. At this time, the name of the organization was changed to High Ridge House, Inc. During those nine years, it became evident that a larger facility was needed, as the Bedford Hills location could handle only 10 guests and was only able to accept about one-quarter of the applicants.

The Board of Trustees’ search for a new location led to the purchase of High Ridge House’s current property in Riverdale (The Bronx) in 1967. With financial support from the Christian Science field in the Tri-State area, construction began on this 30-room nursing facility in 1970. There were seven nurses and five patients when High Ridge House in Riverdale first opened its doors.

The founder of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy, says in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures (page 263) that, “Whatever seems to be a new creation, is but the discovery of some distant idea of Truth…” The spiritual idea of High Ridge House, then, is not and never was a new creation, but the embodiment of one eternal truth, that God alone cares for His beloved creation, man. This truth is the foundation of High Ridge House, its spiritual superstructure.

High Ridge House is: